The International Organization for Migration's (IOM) office in Moscow was opened in 1992.
IOM’s activities in Russia are governed by a Cooperation Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the International Organization for Migration, in the following areas based on availability of funds:
- Technical and expert assistance in migration management and development of legislation;
- Efforts against human trafficking, including trafficking in women and children for sex exploitation;
- Activities to prevent irregular migration;
- Assisted voluntary return of third-country nationals who are in distress in Russia;
- Research programs aimed at resolving migration problems;
- Medical aid to migrants;
- Reintegration of own nationals.
- Other programs.